The Stanley Cup Playoffs are heating up. The skating is faster. The hits are harder. The fans are crazier. And the beards are beardier. The Original Retro Brand & the guys at BEARDGANG, want you to know that having a beard is a privilege… having the style to match is a necessity. Join us! NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. Blood, Sweat, & Beards. Exclusive NEW gear brought to you by Retro Brand & BEARDGANG available now HERE.
The Stanley Cup Playoffs begin tonight. Six weeks of perhaps the most exciting of all playoff tournaments in all of professional sports will unfold and Retro Brand is ready to to gear you up proper. Behold as we unfold our TOP 10 newest NHL tees just in time for Lord Stanley.
10. Boston Bruins flex fit: I know I said top ten tees, but this “Back in Black,” hat is ferocious. Gotta give props to the team with the best record in all of hockey.
9. Philadelphia Flyers cropped tank: Flyers hockey gals won’t tank in this winner. Flyers looking to not tank against the Rangers.
8. Minnesota Wild tailsweep: A sweep against the #1 Western Conference seed Colorado Avalanche would be Wild.
7. Columbus Blue Jackets crest: Congrats to the Jackets for making the Playoffs for the second time in their brief 14 year history.
6. St. Louis Blues raglan: There’s nothing ragtime about these Blues.. Watch out Chi-town!
5. Los Angeles Kings stick crossing: Crossing fingers & sticks for second Stanley Cup title in 3 years.
4. Quebec Nordiques double hit: Well, they kinda made the playoffs being that they eventually became the Avalanche, right? Simply cannot leave any new Nords gear off a TOP 10 list when it comes in!
3. Montreal Canadiens: “Les Habitants, ” looking to add Stanley Cup title #25 to their all time total – the most of any NHL franchise in history.
2. Colorado Avalanche long sleeve crew: Looking to ride first division title in 10 years (they have 9 total) to 3rd Stanley Cup Championship. I know, another non-tee entry but it’s too cool.
1. Detroit Redwings Zip up hoodie: Breaking them rules again. The #1 newest NHL tee is a hoodie. Original 6 team. Original Retro Brand look.
Seems like yesterday when Bickell and Bolland each scored goals in the final 1:16 to give the Chicago Blackhawks their second Stanley Cup Championship in three years to finish off a stunningly spectacular season.
Well it’s yesterday once more as another stunning and spectacular moment will take place tonight at the United Center when the Blackhawks unfurl and raise their newest Stanley Cup championship banner before the puck drops against the Capitals to officially begin the 2013 NHL season.
In honor of this event, we thought it would make perfect sense to unveil our Retailer of The Month for October in which we feature Clark Street Sports - one of the most famous and prestigious retail chains in the Midwest.
I had the sincere pleasure to speak with Sarah Yeazel – the uber enthusiastic Social Media Director for Clark Street Sports, about what it was like to be in on the action from her point of view (that’s her in the cap & Retro Brand Blackhawks tee below).
Andy: I am SO PUMPED for the new NHL season to start tonight – hey my Islanders are a team on the rise! Again, speaking of rise, does Clark Street Sports and/or you specifically have anything special planned for the Stanley Cup Banner raising tonight?
Sarah: The Islanders may be on the rise, but the Blackhawks are on the prowl for another Cup victory! Clark Street Sports, as always, will be outside of the United Center to greet fans and make sure they have all the Blackhawks gear they need for the “Madhouse on Madison.” We are also putting together a contest through our Facebook page to win two tickets to have your picture taken with the Stanley Cup. As the Cup makes its rounds in the Windy City, we are fortunate enough to be able to have two tickets for a lucky fan to get up close and personal with Lord Stanley, which is very exciting. We also have a few new designs we’ll be rolling out for the beginning of hockey season to add a fresh look to the celebration of the Blackhawks, and one shirt we’ve done is a custom collaboration (see blue shirt below) with Retro Brand that we’re very excited about. So, a lot is happening with the Blackhawks this year, especially at the start of the season, and we’re very excited to celebrate the return of hockey with hockey fans.
Andy: Love the contest, Sarah. Before we get into the Hawks run from last year, I want to talk a little about what you do for Clark Street Sports. I mean I love your blog posts – so filled with passion, enthusiasm, sarcasm, and good humor. Which came first – your obvious love of sports or your skills of the scribe?
Sarah: Thank You! I grew up in a Chicago sports home in Indiana. I have always been a Chicago sports fan, and I’ve always loved writing. English was my favorite subject throughout school, and I have a degree in English. When approaching the blog for Clark Street Sports, I wanted to make it fun; it needed the perfect blend of Deadspin’s sarcasm, the solid facts that every sports fan thrives on, and the die-hard Chicago dedication of Bill Swerski’s Superfans. Clark Street Sports is more than a store; this is a community built of sports fans who love the players, the game, and Chicago sports culture. When I got this job, I not only wanted to convey that sense of community and fandom, I wanted to showcase it in the best way possible. I’ve always been a huge sports fan, and I wanted to construct a blog that was by an enthusiastic sports fan for other enthusiastic sports fans.
Andy: From one enthusiastic sports fan to another… it’s working. Now back to the Hawks. Last year was simply a dream season for the team. Tell us how the amazing run affected you personally and professionally.
Sarah: Professionally, I have never been so busy at a job in my life. Every moment was making sure that shirts were in stock, making sure our various stores and tents had enough merchandise, and making sure that, as the director of social media, I was in the right place at the right time. Everyone was on top of their game and working long hours to make sure we could get merchandise to the fans. Everyone was incredibly busy and making sure we had enough merchandise for the fans who were getting geared up for the rally, the Blackhawks Convention, and other celebrations happening around the city. Personally, it was so much fun. I was in Wrigleyville on Clark Street with all the fans partying in the street the night that an amazing seventeen seconds got us the Cup, I attended the Blackhawks rally, and I got to see the Cup at the Blackhawks Convention. This year, as a Blackhawks fan, was one amazing celebration in Chicago. Personally, it was great to see strangers embracing each other as friends in celebration of the Blackhawks.
Andy: Sounds like you’ve got your dream job, Sarah – good for you! With all this talk of merchandise, I must ask what it is you like about our Retro Brand gear?
Sarah: Retro Brand gear is just great quality. I have personally recommended it outside of work to friends and family. The shirt quality, which I am a big snob about, is just fantastic and the designs are unique, straightforward and wonderfully done. I think Retro Brand offers great apparel that is both comfortable and a wonderful way to show support for the Blackhawks!
Andy: Appreciate all the kind words Sarah, and look forward to a long and prosperous relationship with you and Clark Street Sports. And just so you know, Retro Brand would like to throw in a few of our shirts as prizes for your “Up close and personal with Lord Stanley,” contest on Facebook. Thanks again and have fun tonight!
In addition to her job as Social Media Director for Clark Street Sports, Sarah Yeazel is a major sports fanatic and big fan of the Bears, Bills, Blackhawks, Sabres, and Celtics (she’s often conflicted by her teams battling it out). She looks forward to football season like small children look forward to Christmas morning. Check out what Andy has been fussing about here, and click below to enter the Cup contest!
With all the huge hits, slap shots, pummeling, and every day slashing that takes place in your average hockey game, it’s no wonder heavy metal music has quite the following when it comes to NHL players.
I know this how? Our good friend and author of “The Merciless Book of Metal Lists,” Howie Abrams, recently spoke with the CEO of Medal Blade Records, Brian Slagel, about his love of hockey and the NHL Players who love Heavy Metal (Slagel gave Metallica their big break in the biz among many others). The result of their conversation turned into a TOP TEN list of those players who are into it the most, and we’re going to share it with you now…
10. Andrew Penner – Just-retired, former minor league star is a massive Metal fan. A player who really knows his stuff!
9. Jere Lehtinen – A former Dallas Stars player who is a big Metal fan.
8. Craig Ludwig – Another who played for the Dallas Stars (drafted by Minnesota North Stars) and is a good friend of Vinnie Paul’s (currently in Hellyeah & co-founder and drummer for Pantera). He knows his Metal. What’s going on in Dallas?
7. Tuukka Rask – The new number-one goalie playing in the Stanley Cup Finals right now for the Boston Bruins is also a big Metal head!
6. Ken Baumgartner – Played twelve seasons in the NHL starting with the LA Kings. He actually recorded a Metal single with us. It featured members of Armored Saint, Fates Warning, and Suicidal Tendencies.
5. Jaromir Jagr – I took him to meet Metallica when they were recording “Load.” Huge Metal fan, nice guy, and hockey legend, and another playing for the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Finals!
4. Janne Niinimaa – Played over 700 games in eight seasons in the NHL starting with the Philadelphia Flyers. He once spent a week on tour with Cannibal Corpse.
3. Toni Lydman – Used to be teammates in Buffalo with the #1 Metal Fan on the list, but currently plays for the Anaheim Ducks. Big Metal fan. Goes to tons of shows in his native Finland in the off-season.
2. Mike McKenna – Another massive Metal fan and currently with the St. Louis Blues. Everything from underground to the “right” big bands. He rules!
1. Drew Stafford – This guy knows his Metal big-time! He may know more underground Metal bands than I do. Great guy and player for the Buffalo Sabres too.
There you have it. No Chicago Blackhawks player made the list? Wonder if that might give Jagr and Rask the edge when they head into Chicago for game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals this Saturday night. They’ll need it, and we’ll watching and listening…. to Heavy Metal!
You can find Howie Abrams’ “The Merciless Book of Metal Lists” here.
As a female hockey fan, (we DO exist, Rangers) who is so anti pink and/or rhinestoned jerseys, I strive to rep what I love, while still having my personal style come through. Adding the right amounts of feminine pieces and accessories can often easily help create that perfect balance. So, when the lovely Andy from Retro Brand reached out to me to style a (super soft) tee, it was pretty much being asked to do what I do all the time anyway. Throwback NHL + (maaaaybe) way too many accessories? You’ve pretty much just summed me up perfectly.